Skip to content
- Samai/Little Millet – 2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Green Chilli – 4
- Curry Leaves – few springs
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana Dal– 1 tbsp
- Urad dal– 2 tsp
- Asafoetida– a generous pinch
- Wash samai/little millet with water and drain the water.
- Heat a Kadai with oil, temper with mustard seeds, once they splutter, add the chana dal and urad dal and fry until the dal turn golden.
- Add the chopped green chillies, curry leaves and hing, mix well.
- Now add 6 cups of water. Also add the grated coconut and salt to taste. Bring this to a rolling boil.
- Now add the little millet and mix well. Cook covered in low heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the mixture resembles upma. Keep stirring once in a while.
- Transfer to a plate and let it and let it cool down a little.
- Wet your palms, and form golf ball sized balls or oval shaped balls
- Place on a steamer or idly plate.
Steam cook for 10 minutes.
- Little Millet / Saamai kozhukattai is ready.